This is a blog all about our family! Follow along with us on this amazing journey.

Monday, August 27, 2012

Third time's a "Charlotte!" August and September


It's a girl!!!! These are words that I never thought I would hear...honestly! I really, really, really thought we were destined to have all boys! BOY were we surprised! So we finally got our Charlotte! It's still very surreal to say that we have a daughter...a girl, her, she...this is all new for us! She is constantly called "buddy" by the boys, poor little thing! I guess some habits are hard to break! 
So here is the birth story of Miss Charlotte Jane Batia...mostly pictures but hey, isn't that what everyone wants to see anyways?!?!?

The night before our scheduled c-section Mark and I went on our traditional pre-baby date to Del Friscos for a delicious dinner. It didn't disappoint1 Our surgery wasn't scheduled until noon the next day so I ate WAY more food than I should have...seeing that I knew that I wouldn't have anything else to eat for almost 24 hours! We had a nice morning with the boys before we went to the hospital and everything was going as planned (yes I am a planner!) I can honestly say that was the last thing that day that went as planned...all the "plans" went out the window once we got checked in to the hospital...can you sense a fun story is about to come? But first a quick picture!

Heading out to the hospital...the last picture as a family of four!
Ok...so here's the crazy/amazing birth story of Charlotte Jane. Once we arrived at Winnie Palmer, we were checked in and taken back to prep for surgery. Everything was very normal up to this point. I changed into my cutie-pa-tootie surgical gown and got the pretty blue gauze cap over my hair. The nursing team started my IV and took all my vitals...perfectly normal. The anesthesiology team came in, prepped me for my epidural and before I knew it my legs were going numb! They kept testing to see how far up the epidural was working and it was slowing creeping up towards my chest...a good thing. Our surgery was delayed about a half hour because our doctor had to go and deliver another baby. Next thing we know it's our turn and I am being wheeled into the OR! We were very excited and felt comfortable with our entire surgery team. The surgery started and that is when things got a little crazy. I don't really have a "first hand" account of what took place but this is what Mark, my doctor and the anesthesiologist said happened. I remember that Dr. Thatcher started the c-section and that it was a little more "uncomfortable" than I remember my other two c-sections being. All of a sudden the anesthesiologist came over and I remember him telling Dr. Thatcher "don't make the uterine incision!" I was a little confused and then he quickly told be that he was going to adjust my epidural. The next thing I know he's telling me "I'm really sorry but I am going to have to give you some medicine that's going to make you really sleepy" and somehow I knew that he was going to put me all the way under...that's right, a general. The last thing I remember is looking over to my left and seeing Mark and telling him that I loved him. Here's the part that I was told about and that I have ZERO memory of. Everyone said that I was telling my doctor that what she was doing was "uncomfortable" and that it "hurt." I feel SO fortunate to not have any memory of pain. After a quick adjustment of my epidural meds, the anesthesiologist realized that he could not "fix" what I was feeling and the only solution was to put me under. Mark was then taken out of the OR while all this was going on (hospital policy) and then the rest of the surgery took place. My doctor and anesthesiologist were so awesome because right before they pulled the baby out they hollered for them to bring Mark back in so he could witness the surprise (all of them breaking the rules!!!!) He came in just in time to hear and see Dr. Thatcher pull out the baby and say it's Charlotte! I am so glad that at least one of us got to experience the gender reveal! Mark said that he cried...how sweet is that? He was then allowed to stay with Charlotte while they continued to work on me. Charlotte was born at 1:16pm and was 8.6 lbs and 20 inches long. So much took place in such a short amount of time but all that matters is that we have a healthy baby girl and momma!
I didn't wake up until around 2:30 and needless to say I was all sorts of confused! My first memory is being wheeled into the recovery area and the nurses kept telling me to look down at my hospital bracelet. I had NO idea why the heck they kept telling me to do that and when I finally looked down and saw that it was pink but it never clicked. They finally said, "you have a daughter, it's a girl" and I was still extremely confused. All I could do was cry! I kept thinking, "I missed it, I missed it, I missed it!" And I was in a ton of pain too...it was not a fun time and something that I am glad is very fuzzy. I was also really confused as to where everybody was, my husband, my baby. The world was not right until they came in to see me! Such sweet memories of seeing her for the first time!
Phew! So that was our crazy birth story...a memorable day to say the least!
Ps...we still do not know why the epidural did not work properly. We are very grateful for an amazing OR staff and our great doctors. Thank goodness they work well under pressure and knew just what to do! We feel so blessed! By the way, I ended up with a severe epidural headache a few days later and had to go to a surgery center and have a blood patch done. This is when a hole is poked in the dura when the epidural is being done and your spinal fluid leaks causing a sever migraine like headache. It was horrible! The blood patch is done to repair the hole and I can attest that it is a miracle cure! It was instant relief!!! Totally worth the hassle!
So here are the pictures of Miss Charlotte's debut!

Like I said our anesthesiologist was awesome. He took our camera from Mark and took these pictures for us!
I think she looks like Brooks in the picture.
Brand new baby!
She was a big girl for being 2 weeks early! Can you imagine how big she would have been if I would have gone full term??
Daddy and daughter...first snuggles!
The first time holding my girl. "Hello Charlie, nice to meet you! I'm your momma!"
Right after her first bath
A sweet girl in her homemade pink cap!
The bracelet on the top is the one they kept telling me to look at when I was coming out of surgery and Ella and Ny make the Charlotte name bracelet on the bottom!
We ended up staying in the hospital for a total of four days. It was a great decision to stay the extra day and we were so blessed to have so many friends and family come and visit us. It was so exciting to have the boys come and meet their new sister. We felt so loved and all in all it was a great experience. We had an amazing hospital staff and were made to feel so comfortable. It was a great start to my recovery and for our new family of five! 

Our first family of five picture!
Campbell and Brooks are enamored with their new little sister!
Brooks was so tender and sweet the first time he held Charlotte...it made me get teary eyed watching him with her!
Campbell shared his stickers with his sister...now that is true love! 
Brooks wanted to be right next to her the entire time.
Love what this picture captured...such a sweet moment between brother and sister.
Camp hold Charlie for the first time! 
Uncle Troy stealing some sweet sugar!
My sister was a Godsend the whole time I was in the hospital...she was my go to girl! Thanks for EVERYTHING Bec!
Chad, Dana and the boys all came to meet their newest niece/cousin. We were so glad they came!
Fletcher and Charlotte
Trevor and Charlie
Uncle Richard and Aunt Jennifer and their kidos came to meet the newest Batia too.  What special memories!
Big Cole and little Lottie
My daddy was so right when he said I was going to have a girl...guess I should have listened to my dad! 
My daddy holding my little girl...so special!
GJ wouldn't have missed Charlotte's birth for anything...she was such a big help with the boys too! 
Mark's sister Lyn surprised us by flying in for Charlie's birthday. What a fun memory!
It was so awesome to have Ny there for Charlotte's birth...too bad she didn't get to meet her until the next day because of the surgery fiasco!  
Auntie Sally was so sweet to come to the hospital bearing a new wardrobe for Miss C...literally!
Ny was able to bring Ella on Sunday to meet Charlotte...it was such a special time for just us girls! 
All smiles!
Ella Bella and her real live baby doll!
On our way home...well after a quick detour to the surgery center, THEN it was home!
Home sweet home with my babies!
All my loves in one place...now the world seemed right!
Tio Chris meeting Charlotte for the first time!
Tia Ny Ny can't get enough baby love!
These pictures never get old!
These two have a sweet bond already...he is so patient and kind with his sister...it's heart melting!
Love
Snuggles and sharing favorite stuffed animals!
This little boy can't seem hold his sister enough! 
Charlotte's first bath...thanks to my mom for giving each one of my babies their very first bath at home.  
PG and her sweet (and clean!) Charlotte!
Baby burrito in her bassinet! 
The boys love it when she's in her bassinet...it's the perfect height for them to peak in at her!
Charlotte's new nursery thanks to her PopPop! Such a fun surprise to come home to a newly decorated nursery!
She looks so tiny in here huge crib! The bunny from PopPop is bigger than she is!
PG and Camp snuggling on the couch with Charlie Bear...you know Camp loves his sister when he is sharing his security blankets with her! TRUE love!
More sharing of the blankets!
Tiny Charlotte! 
Sucking her thumb...needless to say I covered her hands for the first 3 weeks! I had visions of mounting dentist bills! 
This is the best feeling...ever!
Momma and baby nap time! 
I just love what this picture captures...
A sleepy smile
My little helper...Charlotte keeps me company now that I am back to work! Good thing I work from home!
She looks so tiny in this picture...my has she grown in the past few weeks!
My three little loves...
We are so blessed to have three amazing kids! What an amazing addition Charlotte has been to our family. She is a great baby and fits right in! We are so thankful for a baby that sleeps and eats well and is so easy going. The Lord knew just what we needed when he added our sweet little girl to family! All four of us are in love!

1 comment:

KellyW said...

Yay!!! I am so glad she is happy, healthy, and here! I so enjoyed meeting her. She is a precious addition!